Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dogs in "Paradise"

Recently I was fortunate enough to travel way out into the Southern Caribbean to the island of St. Lucia.
This island has been on my 'must see' list for quite some time now, and now that I have been all I can say is....CHECK!

Out of all the places I've traveled, this by far was one of the worst...for animals, dogs especially.

Stray dogs were everywhere, standing in roads, chasing chickens through villages, standing with the pigs on the beach....all were filthy, most malnourished and skinny. As I passed one mother dog with 3 puppies feeding from her I wondered what sort of spay/neuter program (if any) was offered on the island.

A few dogs had collars, but I wasn't sure that meant they were well cared for, or even fed on a regular basis. I can only imagine the desease....parvo....distemper...etc...

I wondered what could be done....what could I do? I am still asking myself that....

Could this tourist paradise be a purgatory for these furry souls?


1 comment:

  1. One of the things you can do is contact your cruise line and let them know and to also contact the local authorities with suggestions - other than killing - to help the situation. Maybe the crise line could help make the stop much more enjoyable by sponsoring a spay/neuter program. Great publicity (free trip for vets to the island for a day of "operations."

    ReplyDelete