Monday, December 6, 2010

What Would You Do?

This past weekend my husband and I were taking our dog Christmas shopping for her gifts at a large well known pet store, when we witnessed something horrible. Animal Abuse.
I had been watching a particular patron because I was waiting for an opportunity to go up and pet his dog. She was a beautiful white pit bull. He was on the phone, so I was waiting for him hang up so that I could try and sell him on some of my pit bull groups and programs etc...
Before his conversation ended, the dog must have some how pulled him (didn't really see anything myself...) and he went off. He yelled at the dog to SIT and STAY, after it cowered and complied, he hit the dog repeatedly in the face. Then he said, and I quote: "Move again and I'll beat your ass."
I was horror struck. My husband and I stood frozen for a moment with our jaws dropped. Another customer was walking by, and actually got tears in her eyes.
When the man started walking again, the dog trotted faithfully at his side, tail wagging.
She doesn't know any better, to her, that's what love is. That made me so sad.
I never saw him purchase anything, it was as if he was just trying to show off...he had her on a pinch collar and thick heavy chain. Way to perpetuate a stereo type buddy.
So, of the options presented to me, the way I saw it, these were my choices:
1) Do Nothing
2) Confront the man myself
3) Play stupid, and go up as if I saw nothing, the whole time trying to educate, and encourage 'my way'.
4) Alert the store staff

So, I know what I did, but I want to know....what would YOU do?

1 comment:

  1. I would have confronted him! I would have moved the minute he started the hitting and maybe I'd get lucky and he would hit me because then I could call the cops!

    ReplyDelete